Friday, March 19, 2010

Choices

Although I'm trying to free myself of being in control and what the future holds I also have to make decisions...

I have been in the market to buy a house for a little while now. This is a big deal. As much as I want to live in the moment and let life be what it is, I have to choose. I am torn between two houses so I'm going to blog out my pros and cons, is there really a better way to make a pros and cons list? I think not:




Two Family on Chase:

Pros
-very close (walkable) to my fav places, Northside Tavern, Sidewinders, Melt
-two family - a promise of part of my mortgage always being paid for
-adorable and trendy (is that two)
-great kitchens - the cabinets are great - good space and their are two
-can easily be a single family
-off street parking
-rental property - investment
-three full baths! if I have roomies this is bonus and a half
-hard wood floors on second and third floor
-current owner has yoga books and Buddha's (I know they don't come with the house) but a good vibe!

Cons
-very little yard (practically none - but this could be a pro as I have never mowed before in my life)
-looks like a slight leak from a drain spout
-costs more than the other house I'm looking at
-across the street from a rec center (high foot traffic)
-lower resale value
-my bedroom would be on the third floor - that's three flights of stairs for laundry
-kind of shares a wall with another building - it is the old firehouse now photography studio



Springlawn
Pros
-more of a family feel kind of house
-yard
-one car garage
-4 bed 2 full bath
-small front porch back patio
-cheaper than Chase
-Quite neighborhood
-wouldn't scare my parents to visit (pro or con not sure)
Cons
-anyone besides me would do off street parking
-kitchen cabinets are poop (well just not that pretty)
-carpet on second floor will eventually need replaced but livable now
I really like both houses for different reasons.... what to do????


1 comment:

Kara said...

They both look adorable! If I were you, I'd investigate the following: average cost of utilities throughout year (not what someone has paid on budget billing), when was the roof last replaced/patched- if patched, where & what is the structure like underneath, what is the age of the windows- can you feel a breeze? What about insulation? Find out the specifics but the hand test always helps too- if the walls feel cold on a chilly day, then chances are the insulation is not good (or non-existant, in the brick house), etc, etc. Once again, both look freaking ADORABLE (& you know we're good painters), but those are a few things to check on. Have you gotten them inspected yet? We used a great (& affordable!!!) one that I can send you the name/number for.