Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Question Everything....

I am nearly finished with the Sue Monk Kidd book "the Dance of the Dissident Daughter". It is as if it is speaking to me as I read it. It is a journey from her submersion in the patriarchal church and male symbolism to the realization to the Divine Feminine.

Reading the book has started, or should I say, re-started this want/need in me to question things. Like what is this symbol? What does it symbolize to others and what does it mean to me? Can I buy into some of this symbolism culture has created without buying into the patriarchal attachment. Why do we have these rituals... Who created these expectations?

We can always fall back on the men who wrote the majority of the history books, including the bible.

In Yoga we talk about "God" which sometimes strikes a chord with me. "God" is male. We all can argue that "God" is genderless but then think about the pronoun you attach when you aren't using the word "God". It is a male pronoun.

For me coming from an ultra religious background and then being able to find my own path - which meant choosing what church I attended to finding the real definition of feminism while in college and realizing that I was "one of them... a feminist".

So I am. I am sitting here at work questioning my own construct. Wondering if I maybe veered off a bit from my journey... but then again, what is my journey.

It feels good to question everything... including myself.

No comments: